Mission of the groups
Use of renewable energy such as solar, wind and biomass is expected to be further expanded, as it has advantages from the viewpoint of global warming countermeasures and increasing domestic energy source. Moreover, vigorous efforts are being made in research & development of innovative technologies on energy demand side, that improve energy efficiency and diversification of energy sources.
The groups study and research a path toward development of renewable energy and innovative energy technologies from a wider view and to make contribution to our country’s energy strategy by identifying necessary technological development challenges and indicating a direction for problem solution
There are various study challenges in respect of renewable energy and innovative energy technology on demand side.
In recent years, the groups put a higher focus on research and study activities as shown below.
（１） Creation of electric power networks where distributed generation resources such as renewable energy are well balanced
（２） Technology for efficient use of biomass and wastes
（３） Technology for highly efficient clean energy vehicles including electric vehicles
The groups will investigate development trends of new technology in these areas both at home and abroad and make technological and economic evaluations, in order to promote introduction and dissemination of highly environmentally sustainable energy and new technology.
The groups have undertaken research and study in cooperation with private companies in a manner shown below.
- Carry out research and study on certain technical fields or specific technology entrusted by the government, the New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization (NEDO), private companies, etc.
- Propose new ideas in collaboration with private companies or universities to the government or NEDO and launch and implement new projects.
- Form a study group on specific theme and exchange and share the relevant information among the members, and create a project of the government, NEDO, etc.
The groups have taken part in research and study activities of the government’s technology development programs which cover overall picture and also on projects of specific technology. These activities and projects are in a mutually complementary relationship as indicated in the following figure.
The results of research and study are publicly available in the form of reports by the government or NEDO. Our representative reports that were recently made publicly available are shown below.
- Next generation energy and social systems demonstration project/Study project on creation of energy management system/Study project on proposal for creation of energy management systems, March 2013 [entrusted by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI)/New Energy Promotion Council (NEPC)]
- Next generation energy and social systems demonstration project/Technological study project on connection and control in standardization of energy management systems/Promotion of comprehensive strategy for international standardization of energy management systems, March 2013 [entrusted by METI/NEPC]
- Development of highly efficient conversion technology for biomass energy, etc. (leading technological development)/Report of comprehensive study results, March 2013 [entrusted by NEDO]
- Technological development and demonstration study project on global warming countermeasures, development of environmentally sustainable high efficiency binary power generation technology, result report, March 2013 [entrusted by the Ministry of the Environment]
|Hiroshi Hasuike, PhD, Director|
|Noriaki Tokuda, PhD, Director|